FTP: File Transfer Protocol
allows easy upload of files to a hosting server. Download is easy too. The files of an entire website can be backed up and restored using FTP.
If you run a database, as WordPress does, its a must to backup the database too.
Required for FTP
- FTP Address/host – obtained from hosting admin
- FTP username and password – obtained from hosting admin
- FTP Software
Free FTP Software – Download
Filezilla A Free FTP program that does the job. Easy install, and file transfers are made through a familiar windows-like interface.
FTP with Firefox
For more FTP programs see
How to Transfer files by FTP
All FTP programs are similar, the procedure is the same, no matter what program you have installed. Follow these simple instructions to transfer your files.
- Open the FTP program and find in the menus Options / Settings
- Enter the following details where appropriate:
- FTP Address/host
- FTP username and password
- Leave all other settings as default. Press Connect It will logon and connect to your host. Connected
Problems Connecting with FTP?
Try one or both of the following 2 tips to help you connect:
In menus Options / Settings
- Connection settings – Select Passive Mode
- File Transfer settings – Select Binary Mode
- Click OK/Save, then Connect
Now you are connected, happy FTP-ing!